Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

God as a hound

Have you ever heard the expression, "God pursues us as a hound from heaven?"

The meaning of that is that in his love for us, Jesus acts like a hound-dog, intense and focused as he pursues the hunt.

I read today that the image comes from Francis Thompson, a 19th century British poet who wrote "The Hound of Heaven." Although Thompson was a follower of Christ, he struggled with poverty, poor health, and an addiction to opium (which in those days was sold as an "over-the-counter" medication).

In the depths of his despair, Thompson described his flight from God: "I fled him, down the nights and down the days. I hid from him, and under running laughter. I sped … from those strong feet that followed, followed after [me]."

But Thompson also knew the unrelenting love of Jesus, the hound of heaven.

In the poem Jesus pursues Thompson with "unhurrying chase, and unperturbed pace, deliberate speed, and majestic instancy [or urgency]." He hears the feet of Jesus beating after him as Jesus calls, "All things betray those who betray me."

I am thankful that God never gives us on me.  That through His Holy Spirit and His Son Jesus Christ, that God continually pursues me with His everlasting love!

Why - I don't know.  But I am very grateful.  How about you?

No comments: