Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Motivating others

I am a self confessed, self-motivator.

I don't need a lot of "bells and whistles" to do what I do in ministry. 

I get up in the morning and go throughout my day knowing that I am walking in God's will, that God will give me the strength to do what I need to do and that at the end of the day, all that counts is that I have done the best that I can.

Because of that, ironically enough, I sometimes find it hard to motivate others.  I have learned that simply being an example is not enough, that people will let me work and work hard, to the point of exhaustion and not become involved.

So, how can we motivate others?

Here's what I know:

1.  We all respond to someone concentrating on our strengths and not our weaknesses.  Everyone has both positive and negative points about them.  It all depends upon what we are looking for.  I try to think the best of everyone and focus on what they can do, their strengths and not on what they can't do or their weaknesses.  If someone believes that I can do anything, I am always amazed at how I will rise to the challenge.

2. We all respond to a celebration of our achievements, however small.  It moves us on to do greater things.  I can go for weeks on one good compliment.  When someone verbalizes or gives me some sort of appreciation, it is like jumping in a cool pool on a hot day.  Or drinking a cup of hot chocolate by the fire on a cold day.  Well, you get the idea.  No one likes to be around someone(s) who only focus in on what they are doing wrong and never on what they are doing right (And I am around people like that every day).

3.  We all respond to sincere praise.  You and I both know what a phony compliment sounds like - you can spot it a mile away.  Sincere praise is almost always specific - it carries substance with it.

4.  We all respond to constructive criticism when it is done in private, and bathed in friendship and love.  No one likes to be reprimanded in public.  We all need those moments where we are allowed to "save face". 

5.  We all respond to someone(s) who make us feel important by:  Listening to what we say.  Asking about our lives, our family, our hobbies, our goals.  I'm around a lot of people who are hearing what I say, but aren't they really listening.

Just some thoughts for a Thursday.

No comments: