Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Speaking of age and new things

Speaking of age - there is never a time when we are too "old" to start something new.

Just this past week, I bought a Joe Bonamassa CD, trying to gain a new appreciation for Blues music.

I really like trying new things, going to new places, eating at new restaurants.

It is never too old to try something new.

On December 9, 1914, fire swept through the factories owned by Thomas Edison in West Orange, New Jersey. The damage totaled millions of dollars. Practically everything of Edison's was destroyed, including journals and records of works in progress.

Edison was not a young man at the time this happened. Many people sent condolences and notes of sympathy, expecting that this tragedy would prompt his retirement.

Edison's response? "I am 67, but I'm not too old to make a fresh start."

It's not too late for your fresh start, either. It doesn't matter how old you are. Neither does it matter how much you have lost in the fires of the past. Today is a new day, a fresh start is yours for the taking.

My own father started a new ministry while in his early 70's.

My grandmother received her master's degree in education when she was in her early 50's and taught third grade at Fair Grove Elementary school for years.

And....my wife has already instructed me that I can never, ever retire (I have too much energy).

But this blog isn't ultimately about age. It's about change. It's about never losing the capacity to start a new chapter in your life...regardless of how the last chapter may have ended.

The new year is coming - a great season in our lives to focus on the future.

The Bible tells us in Isaiah 43:18,19, "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing!  Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?"

I would suggest that God is ready to do something new in your life, to give you a fresh start.

He has forgotten the former things and you can, too. The new creation will be springing up soon. Do you perceive it? Do you receive it?

Why not be praying in the next couple of week about the "new thing" that God wants to do in you and through you?

No comments: