Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Miracles in the midst of ruts

As I grow older, I have more and more respect for those who walk through life with a positive and godly attitude.  Those who avoid grumbling, complaining and criticizing their way through life.

I am learning that while crisis events can make or break us (and cause us to be bitter or better), it is the "dailyness" of life that can tug our lives either upward or downward, both emotionally and spiritually.

Sometimes we walk through the "Groundhog Days" of life (after the movie where the main character, Bill Murray, wakes up at the same time every day, the day never changing), where we feel like we are doing the same thing over and over again.  We can fall into ruts that are difficult to get out of.

Think about people who find themselves in religious ruts.

They discover a number of things about themselves.

They will find that they are getting older but not getting any holier.

Time is their enemy, not their friend.

The time they trusted and looked to is betraying them, for they often said to themselves, "The passing of time will help me. I know some good old saints, so as I get older I'll get holier and better. Time will help me, purify me and revive me."

They said that the year before last, but they were not helped any last year. Time betrayed them. They were not any better last year than they had been the year before.

There's an ancient proverb that says "The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth."

As a Christian who believes in the supernatural, I have witnessed signs and wonders at different times in my life.  I have seen miraculous healings.  I have experienced God giving miraculous help in time of financial need.  I have watched as God has intervened in a supernatural way.

I believe in the miraculous. 

I believe that one of the greatest miracles is a changed life.  The way that God takes a broken and beat up person, and puts their life back together.

But I also believe that miracles are all around us.  The sun rising and setting is a creation miracle of God.  The very breath that you are taking right now is a miracle of God. 

The very fact that I am alive is a miracle of God. 

And perhaps, just perhaps, the greatest miracle is that God can give us the power to live.  The power to walk on this planet in victory day after day with a positive, godly attitude - in the midst of the "dailyness" of life, in the midst of our emotional and spiritual ruts and routine.

Just a thought for a Tuesday........

No comments: