Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Being a gatekeeper of my mind

Here's what I know (again some thoughts from, "The 4:8 Principle"):  I am the gatekeeper of my mind.

Proverbs 4:23 tells us, "Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life."

Tommy Newberry writes, "those who experience more joy don't necessarily have more to be joyful about; they just think differently."

How can I think differently?

- I must feed myself with positive mental nutrition.

I must watch what I watch.

I must do all things in moderation such as watching T.V. perusing the Internet and reading non-Christian books, etc.  Let's all realize that everything we watch, read or listen to either brings us closer to God or nudges us further away.

- I must start my day with joy

Mayberry encourages us to focus on joy the first 15 minutes after we wake up.  He calls it the, "early morning joy ritual".

What you and I do first thing in the morning sets the emotional tone for the entire rest of the day.

Zig Ziglar once joked with his audience that he wakes up in the morning and reads from his Bible and then the local paper so that he knows what both sides are up to. 

Again, Mayberry encourages us to develop a list of one to three quick things we can do in 15 minutes that are consistent with a joy-filled life. 

That is one of the things that I (George) am going to work on.  I have a tendency to check my emails first thing, and many times those emails present challenges.  I am going to work on checking them after I have had my breakfast and time of prayer.

Let me give you one more quote under this point:  "Your potential for joy is limited only by your preparation for joy."  Great stuff.

- I must seal the day with joy.

I agree with Tommy Newberry when he writes, "the absolute worst time to be negative, to be discouraged, to argue, or to deal with junk is right before bedtime!"

He encourages us to "surrender our subconscious to God."  That's why is prayer can so important as we go to sleep.  Perhaps the old children's prayer for bedtime isn't too far off - "Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep."

Dedication your sleep to God. 

Finally, here is a prayer for discernment:

"Father God, Help me to live intentionally, particularly when ti comes to what I read, watch, and listen to on a consistent basis.  Guide me to allow into my soul only those words, sounds, and images that support who you want me to become.  Reveal to me the role I must play in guarding the door of my heart.  Keep me from becoming careless about the inputs of each day and the effect my environment has on my potential.  Because I soak up my surroundings, show me if I have any current exposures that are not pleasing to you, and lead me to make changes so I can experience your presence in a deeper and fuller way.

Inspire me, hour by hour, to fill my mind with everything good.  Remind me that everything counts, and that what I sow, I sooner or later will certainly reap.  In Jesus name, Amen."

No comments: