Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 08, 2009

Some thoughts from last night

I couldn't wait to come to Stone Church last night. I sensed that God was going to do something - and it came to pass.

We spend about 50 minutes, singing worship choruses and basking in the presence of God. Worshipping. Connecting. Tuning in to his Spirit. No talk. No scripture reading. Just hands on relationship with God.

Great stuff.

Jim Cymbala writes in "Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire," "You know how popular a church is by how many people are there on Sunday mornings, you know how popular the pastor or evangelist is by how many are there on Sunday nights, and you know how popular Jesus is by how many are at the prayer meeting."

I must confess that on my way home last night that I was fighting the thoughts of being disappointed about those who were not there (especially leaders). I know better than that.

There's a basic principle in ministry: Focus in on those who do participate and not on those who don't.

Work and minister with those who are there and pray for those who aren't.

But my flesh rose up. Leaders who ask others to participate in their ministry, leaders who are faithful in working for God - were not there to spend time in his presence.

In the middle of the night, however, God woke me up and I begin to pray. I begin to pray for those who weren't there and lifted them up by name.

And once again, God reminded me, focus in on those who do and not on those who don't.

I say this with much affection - My heart is that we all draw closer to God. More than ministry, more than anything else in life - that we love God, live for God, give God our lives.

With much love...George

No comments: