Total Pageviews

Monday, January 12, 2009

Jesus is the light

C.S. Lewis once wrote, "I believe in Christianity as I believe the Sun has risen, not only because I see it but because by it I see everything else."

I like light. I was never a fan of the dark paneling of the 1970's and 80's, or darkly painted rooms.

I like to pray in the light. While I understand the idea of praying with the lights down low, I prefer to pray in the light. To me, I'm not more spiritual if the lights are down low.

Jesus said, "I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life." John 8:12

Jesus is the light.

That has so many deeper applications than what I think we take it for.

You know how it is - before you knew Christ - your heart was filled with darkness. You thought differently, you reacted differently in different situations. You could never completely (if at all) understand why those "goofy" Christians acted as they did. It's because you were living in darkness.

Now we are living in the light.

Jesus as the light gives me the means to make decisions that I face.

The story is told of grandfather who took his little grandson for a walk in the woods. As they were walking along they stopped and the grandfather asked his grandson a question, “Do you know where we are?” The boy looked up and said, “No!” Grandpa then asked, “Do you know where we’re going?” The boy replied, “No!” The man chuckled and said, “Well, I guess you’re lost then.” The boy smiled at his grandpa and said, “No, I’m not lost. I’m with you.”

Psalm 43:3 states, “Send forth your light and your truth, let them guide me.”

That light helps me to understand His Word and see clearly as I pray.

Of course all of that is predicated on making time for the light, for God's presence, for communion with Him.

We can all pray, can't we, "Lord take away my spiritual blindness. Help me see what I must do today. Don't let me stumble or get lost. Shine light on my path."

No comments: