Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 28, 2006

A great story

Seth and Cher sent me this story. It struck me as profound for several reasons.

It is a great story of relationally connecting people to Christ.

It shows the direction of ministry that we desire here at First Assembly.

It is biblical.

It is what's on my heart.

"Fellowship at the Table"

I once met a pastor in the hills of Colorado who invites family to his
rectory every Sunday afternoon for a home-cooked meal. Frequently the
guests are unchurched or exchurched. During my visit the fare was
simple but the company and conversation stimulating.

This family shared the deep hurt inflicted on them by a previous pastor and consequently had discontinued churchgoing. But that afternoon they received
consideration instead of expected condemnation, a merciful acquittal
rather than an anticipated verdict of guilty.

The returned to the worshiping community in the following week. The had been healed by an ordinary Sunday meal. Table-sharing with the pastor brought them into
fellowship with God.

"They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the
fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer." Acts 2:42

(Daily devotion from Reflections for Ragamuffins, by Brennan Manning.)

1 comment:

Beth said...

I am one of those that was exchurched. For about 1.5 years, then I came to a sunday am service and was just as quickly invited to a small group meeting that afternoon. Hubby and I went, and had a good time sharing and talking with others. It was then that I knew it would be ok to start back at church. I was afraid for all that time, afraid what people would think, or say, or that I would be hurt again. I'm still working through a few issues, but so far I've been faithful every week since. We're also really enjoying our small group! Recently my husband has also started back to church and small group. Praise God!