Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Problems

There are a few things in life that are certain. One of them is that we will have problems. They are unavoidable. Certain. They will come.

Problems are everywhere, and everybody has some.

If you are breathing you will have problems.

We can't make it through a day without problems.

Yet, here is what I am learning. Our perspective on the problem, not the problem itself, usually determines our success or failure.

I love the story of a man who stopped to watch a Little League baseball game. He asked one of the youngsters what the score was. "We're losing 18-0," was the answer.

"Well," said the man. "I must say you don't look discouraged."

"Discouraged?" the boy said, puzzled. "Why should we be discouraged? We haven't come to bat yet."

Sometimes we become so involved with a situation that it not only threatens to consume us (we obsess over it) but we become to close to the problem to understand it.

I like that.

Problems are not unsolvable, permanent and normal. Problems are solvable, temporary and a normal part of life.

Instead of problems making us bitter, controlling us or stopping us, problems can make us better, challenge us and stretch us.

And...In an ironic kind of way, problems, if handled correctly, can leave us better than we were before. They shape us and mold us into stronger, better, more effective people.

1 comment:

Teresa O. said...

All very very true. I know when I linger on a problem and haven’t taken time to pray, I become bitter, angry and soon the problem controls me. If I immediately stop and take time to pray, it’s truly amazing how God helps me refocus (just like that little boy in the story above) to see the positive and focus on Him (who is in control anyway). I wish I could say my flesh doesn’t react first, but it does all too often and if I don’t get to my knees soon, it’s amazing how weak I can become. I’m just thankful that God continues to wait for me and is right there when I’m ready to go to him with my problem. He teaches me forgiveness, grace, and often reminds me I need to extend the same that he has extended me to a thousand times over. On my own I do not have the ability, but with Christ “I can do all things…,” especially finding good through difficult days.