Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Psalms 70

All week long we have been in the Psalms.

Psalms 70 gives us an urgent prayer for help from David. This prayer can be your prayer today as well, especially if you are short on time and long on need.

David was in a moment of panic, yet he didn't forget to praise. Praise is important because it helps us remember who God is.

Many times our prayers are filled with requests for ourselves and others, and we forget to thank God for what he has done and to worship him for who he is.

We can't take God for granted and treat him as a vending machine.

Even when David was afraid, he praised God.

David writes,

1.Hasten, O God, to save me;
O Lord, come quickly to help me.

2. May those who seek my life
be put to shame and confusion;
may all who desire my ruin
be turned back in disgrace.

3. May those who say to me, "Aha! Aha!"
turn back because of their shame.

4. But may all who seek you
rejoice and be glad in you;
may those who love your salvation always say,
Let God be exalted!

5. Yet I am poor and needy;
come quickly to me, O God.
You are my help and my deliverer;
O Lord, do not delay.

1 comment:

Jon said...

Having been in despair a few times in my life (as David was frequently it seems) I have had to learn this lesson the hard way. Now, I've learned that in the good times I should praise God and in the bad times, I should praise God even more. There are many lessons in life, most unintentional or not orchestrated by God for us...that does not mean that He will not let us go through the lean times to learn the usefulness of a budget and savings plans; it doesn't mean that He will not let us go through loss of family/friends to learn to deal effectively with grief; it does not mean that He will not let us go through times of spiritual drought to help us learn to lean more on Him daily than we do our own strength. God is the Creator of all and the lover of our souls. He cares for us, even more so than an earthly father cares for his children, and knows that we learn best experientially...that is, by doing. He will allow things to happen to increase our trust, our faith, in Him and teach us to glorify Him in all things, good and bad, that happen in our lives. God is the God of all! In all things, give Him praise and glory. You will be rewarded for that...and if you feel that life is too hard, may I move your eyes to the book of Job. Job, after loss of his entire family (except his wife), his entire wealth, and his entire health, still chose to praise God...even when his friends said that God was punishing him for some concealed sin, Job knew that God was holy, holy, holy and would take care of him if he just had trust and faith in Him alone. And God rewarded Job's faith on this earth and even more so will He reward Job in heaven for his steadfastness.

Just remember, if God be for you, who can stand against you. You serve a mighty God...or if you don't, won't you please consider it today...and He can do all things for those who but ask and have faith that it will be done.

I don't want you to think I speak blindly...I don't! I was lost and now am found...I lived a life for me and suffered for it with discontent and heartbreak. Now I try to live a life for God and He has rewarded me with contentment and advancement...He has blessed me with a house and a family of joy...He has filled my days with laughter and my nights with peace. How can I ask for more? God only wants to prosper His children...join the family today!

May God bless and keep you, today and all days, in comfort and in joy.

Jon