Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Moving from fast food to feasting

I love the eat a good meal. It doesn't have to be fancy, or expensive, but good. Having been missionaries to France, we know the delight of wonderful food with good friends, taking your time and swapping life stories.

I don't need to tell you that there is a big, big difference between fast food and a leisurely meal.

The bible says in Psalms 119:103, "How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!"

I would suggest to you that being in the Word on a daily basis should be a feast and not fast food.

The Word illuminates. "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." Psalms 119:105

The Word is a training manual. It equips us. "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful or teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that all of God's people may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16-17

The Word brings healing. It cuts us to heal. "For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edge sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden form God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account." Hebrews 4:12-13

Sometimes we need to "go under the knife" so that we might be healed.

The Word is our weapon. "Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God." Ephesians 6:17

So, when are you going to dine on God's Word?

Where will you eat? What will be on the menu?

I encourage you to read one chapter a day. If you don't know where to start, begin with Matthew, Proverbs, or the book of James.

Or perhaps read 10 minutes a day. Pick a book of the Bible and plan to read for ten minutes each day.

Or maybe you want to use a devotional Bible reading guide.

Use whatever way fits your personality and time frame.

But read God's word! Eat of His word! Feast on it. Dwell on it. Let there be wonderful times of fellowship with God as you take in nourishment!

And then talk about what you read with others.

Do what you read on a daily basis.

Reflect on what you read throughout the day.

Let's move from fast food to feasting!

2 comments:

Charlie said...

Remember Hot and Now’s motto or saying? I want it Hot and I want it now! Church to some Christians is fast food. Some Christians don’t know how to feed themselves. They wait till Sunday comes, so you can feed them. Babies are that way. They want, what they want, when they want it. If they don’t like it, they’ll spit it out.
My Mom was the best cook. As I’m sure yours was and is. I remember hating to work in my families large garden. It was bigger than large, it was acres. When different things were in season like strawberries and raspberries, blue berries and cherries, my Mom would have me out there gathering. Nuts, Oh the nuts. She knew where the nut trees were. Black Walnuts, Butternuts, Hickory Nuts. I grew up knowing how to gather and preserve all these things. The rewards were not always instant or fast. Sometimes it took till winter set in just to realize the full extent of the rewards.
Homemade jellies and jams. strawberry shortcake in the winter. green beans, peas, tomatoes, cucumbers etc. I really miss my Mom. She knew how to make a feast.
The Word of God is the same way. I takes time and work and you have to learn how to preserve it in your life. Daily reading, daily digging, daily picking it’s fruit. Like you said, it tastes like honey. It’s a light to our path, we just have to open the book and turn it on. It will illuminate our lives and our families lives. I like to feast. See you at the table

Jon said...

Wow Charlie, you really took me back to helping my mom and grandma out picking and canning...but the best part was the eating later. One of my favorite things was my grandma's apple butter...after she passed in 2004, my mom went about emptying the house and lo and behold, way back in the canning cupboard (under the basement stairs) was about a dozen jars of apple butter from 1979. Best apple butter I have ever had! It was old, 25 years old, but it was sweet to my tongue and brought back those wonderful memories of my grandma before she got too frail to leave her house.

That's like the Word of God. Some in the world would say that it's just old writing...but don't take the time to savor the meaning, to ingest the sweet, sweet meat for our souls. And reading the Word brings God closer to us. He's never far from us, He's real close. But if we don't seek Him on a daily basis, He can seem far away. The Word is the feast for our soul, and our soul should hunger for it as I often hunger for my grandma's apple butter. There's none of that apple butter left anymore and no matter how anyone tries, they just can't duplicate or replace what grandma put together. Nothing can replace what God put together either!

I try to read the Word daily and I fail often...so I ask for help from the Holy Spirit to remind me of my daily feast. And I ask God to forgive me for failing to read the Word He has for me each day.

God is good. He's good all the time and He forgives me, faulty as I am. How much love can One show for us? He sacrificed Himself through His Son for our failures. Would you not die for your children? Would you not give all you have to ensure that they would live long, healthy, carefree lives? That's what God did for us! All we have to do is reach out and accept His gift. Accept that Jesus Christ is the Messiah and the Son of God; that He came to earth to pay for our sins and on the third day He rose again! Believe in the Lamb of God, believe that He loves you and died for you...you specifically. He knew you before you were formed, He watched over you as you grew, and He loves you just as much today as He did with the first breath you took. Confess your sins to Him and ask Him to intercede for you with God, that you can live eternally in heaven with the saints and the angels...but more importantly, with God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit, feasting on the actual spoken words of God.

Love God, He loves you.

Jon