Total Pageviews

Monday, February 06, 2006

My friend Doug

My friend Doug had surgery today. They are taking out his left kidney. He has a cancerous mass three times the size of the kidney itself that has to be taken out.

I received the news Saturday afternoon when he called me. It came as a real surprise to me because you don't think of your friends (even at the age of 49) getting cancer and having surgery to take out one of their kidneys.

Obviously, it's a reminder of how fragile we really are. Life is but a fleeting vapor, the scriptures say, here today and gone tomorrow.

That's why I'm glad I'm hooked into the one constant - my relationship with God. That will never change.

My outer man may be decaying (me on a beach in a swimsuit is an ugly thought) but my inner man is being renewed, my spirit and my soul is growing in God every day. And after all - isn't that was is the most important?

1 comment:

Jon said...

We're keeping Doug in our prayers today, tonight, and until we get the word that all is right with him again. We know that it will be because he (and we) serve a miraculous God, a God of wonder and a God who lifts us up in hard times. Doug knows this as his ministry has been in some places where it would be easy to despair. But his faith has brought him this far and I get the feeling that God is planning to use him in an even mightier way.

We have a corruptible body (and mind and spirit and soul) but God promises us an incorruptible body when we join Him...a body that will never die or wither or feel pain or look ugly at the beach in a bathing suit...I really didn't need that mental image today George but I forgive you due to your mental state of worry over Doug! Anyway, God always keeps His promises so I look forward to the day when I no longer have to worry about my feet or my heart or my cholesterol or my triglicerides. I look forward to the day when all my thoughts, all my focus, are on the One who made me...the One who saved me...the One who sought me out and redeemed me by His sacrifice. Oh, to sit at the feet of the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords and hear Him say words of love and welcome to me. I love God and I love Jesus and I love the Holy Spirit...and right now, I pray that the Spirit moves in the body and organs of Doug, removing any trace of this cancer and restoring him to perfect (or as close as we can get to it this side of heaven) health and wellness. I pray quick healing for this surgery and a quick recovery time so that he can once again do his Father's work in this world. I pray a peace of mind for him and all of his prayer friends and partners, that they will rest in God's peace tonight and in future days knowing that the God of all creation has Doug in His hands and in His heart.

God loves Doug and God loves all of you just as much. God will never love you more or less than He does right now, no matter what you do...but what you do will determine where you spend eternity. Please allow Him to show you His love by asking Him to share a daily relationship with you. ADMIT that you have done wrong things in your life, BELIEVE that Jesus Christ was born of a virgin birth, sacrificed Himself for you, was buried and rose again and went up to Heaven to prepare a place for you, and CONFESS that you need help--that you need God in your life. No one does life alone...please let God carry you when you need carrying, walk with you when you're strong, and share the path that He has planned for you. His plan is greater than any plan we can develop, if we but trust Him.

Love God, Love People. Welcome Home, we love you.

Jon