Total Pageviews

Monday, February 27, 2006

The process of becoming a follower of Christ

I've always been struck with the fact that we as followers of Christ in the Pentecostal tradition (and it has become a tradition) are greatly concerned with "closing the deal," concerning leading someone to Christ.

We sometimes feel (and I am generalizing here) that unless someone buys into the faith (to use a sales metaphor) that our time spent with people is not profitable.

Yesterday, we had a wonderful time at our church. We invited all of the families involved in our Upward Basketball outreach ministry to come to our Sunday morning service, I spoke on God's grace, and invited people to start a relationship with Christ, or to put it into religious jargon, "to get saved."

Many responded. We were all rejoicing (as well we should!).

Yet at the same time, I can't help but feel that every conversation that I have with someone who is searching for truth is important.

I might not be the one to "seal the deal," as I was yesterday (and don't get me wrong, I really, really enjoyed seeing people come forward to make a decision to follow Christ) but each time I interact with someone concerning my faith it an important time.

I guess what I am saying, is that let's put as much emphasis, and rejoice just as much in the process of bringing someone to Christ as in the end result.

Process, process, process. The Christian life is all about becoming, as well as what I was and what I will be.

Does that make sense? Let me know....

1 comment:

Jon said...

It makes perfect sense George. I don't need to harvest the plant or the fruit to be complete. I want to be in the process though. I may plant the seed (someone who has not heard the Good News or has had very little opportunity to do so) or I may nurture the seed with water and fertilizer (someone who knows but needs to have questions answered or just see Christ through me and in my life) or I may get to harvest the fruit (when someone comes to Christ through the conviction of the Holy Spirit in my presence and with my helping them with the words or just my presence) but it's all a process. It is a rare person that goes from first contact with the knowledge of Jesus Christ to accepting Him in the same moment (or whatever frame of time you'd like to use for that first contact...it may have been hours of worship, Word, and prayer but I think you know what I mean) of time. It's a process of getting to know Christ and Christians, getting to understand the commitment, getting to see Christ at work in our lives and in our world. Jesus used a lot of plant parables to describe our walk to (and with) God through Him. I can't think of a better analogy than that...I'd like to know if anyone else has...and for this guy with an English degree, that's saying a lot. But it's also what I expect...His Word is as relevant and powerful today as it was the day He said it! His Word is perfection to my ear and to my mind...so clear and succinct that I am constantly amazed at His Word. Some people say that the Bible is just a "too long" book of "dry, dusty" words. My Bible is fresh and meaningful to my life in this world we live in...it is relevant to my live here in the 21st Century. I have a friend who likes to call the Bible the Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth! It's a cool anagram and pretty much describes what we are supposed to do with the Word. Read it, eat it, savor it, and live it!

Sorry, got off track...anyway, it does not matter what part of the process we play--we just need to get into the game! Sitting on the sidelines is not what we are called to do...nurturing people toward the Father is what our calling is. Go forth and be a minister today!

God bless and keep you

Jon