Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Psalms 64:1-10

Psalms 64 was written during a difficult time in David's life. The theme? A complaint against conspiracy. The principle? When others conspire against us, we can ask God for protection because he knows everything.

I like this Psalms because David is expressing himself honestly. And God is more than willing to listen to him. I like that about God. He is more than willing to listen to anything that we say to him.

Words spoken against us are among the most painful attacks we may have to face. If we trust in God, these attacks will not hurt us.

Notice the contrast between the secret counsel of evil in verse 2 and the open declaaration of God's works.

I trust this Psalms will minister to you today:

1 Hear me, O God, as I voice my complaint;
protect my life from the threat of the enemy.

2 Hide me from the conspiracy of the wicked,
from that noisy crowd of evildoers.

3 They sharpen their tongues like swords
and aim their words like deadly arrows.

4 They shoot from ambush at the innocent man;
they shoot at him suddenly, without fear.

5 They encourage each other in evil plans,
they talk about hiding their snares;
they say, “Who will see them?”

6 They plot injustice and say,
“We have devised a perfect plan!”
Surely the mind and heart of man are cunning.

7 But God will shoot them with arrows;
suddenly they will be struck down.

8 He will turn their own tongues against them
and bring them to ruin;
all who see them will shake their heads in scorn.

9 All mankind will fear;
they will proclaim the works of God
and ponder what he has done.

10 Let the righteous rejoice in the Lord
and take refuge in him;
let all the upright in heart praise him!

2 comments:

Jon said...

Worldly saying, "What comes around, goes around." God says, "I will punish the wicked." Karma versus judgement. The difference between the two: With karma, it comes around regardless of repentence; with God, forgiveness is gracious and merciful. So should it be with us. Let's forgive those who transgress against us and move forward into a new era of hope, love, faith, and prosperity. For God has told us that He only wants to prosper us, He only wants what is best for us, He will reward His faithful and true servants. The reward is in heaven and this test drive we're in now is but a blink of an eye to all eternity. Trust in God to put it all right, forgive and move forward, love each other and share warm reconciliation with your brothers and sisters in the Lord.

I have a friend from Colorado who, no matter what others would do to him, would just smile at people and get on with his day. One day, I asked him why he allowed that to happen (he was not born again though he had been raised in the Catholic church) to him and only smiled. His answer stays with me: "Smile at your enemies and they'll hate you for it. They will eat themselves trying to figure out what you're going to do back while you just live your life without worrying about them." While his was a philosophical outlook on life, God basically says the same thing: When you are cursed, bless your enemy. When you are hated, show love. When attacked, make peace. My favorite beatitude (yeah, I know it's obvious but hang with me here) is: Blessed are the Peacemakers for they will be called the Sons of God. Can we (I) ask for any more than that? Being in heaven and wearing that title...doesn't get any better!

Love God, Love People. Forgive. Move on.

God's peace and love to all,

Jon

Teresa O. said...

We will all reap what we sow and the thought of that makes me cringe as I know I am not perfect in this area. If we sow discord, gossip, and slander, we can be sure it will come back on us. What I love about these verses is the reminder that ALL is in God's hands and we just need to let God do what he needs to in dealing with those attacking us. As I learn to trust and rest in him, he will bring truth to light and protect those that call on the name of the Lord. Many say "pray," but do they? If they pray and listen they would find God aligns them with Truth and His purposes; where love and unity thrive, and where slander and gossip are absent.

Of course, I would desire that forgiveness and repentance be sought before God has to strike my enemies down (as the scripture says), but if people are not seeking God, repentance may not come when I want it. Therefore, I must leave in the Lord's hands, loving them all the while, not forgetting I will reap what I sow. I do desire to sow love and unity the Lord’s way, not mine.