Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Faith - trusting God when I don't get it

One of my points this coming Sunday (How to be a success - from Acts 20) is this:

Success is walking in faith - and faith is trusting God if I don't get what I am praying for.

Here's what I know about prayer:

God always, always hears and answers every prayer.

God does not always answer the way we want him to answer.

That is so true - and sooooooooo frustrating.  Would you agree with me on that?

Sometimes God's answer is:

"You've got to be kidding me."

"No way".

"Uh-uh."

"Not yet."

"Later"

"Wait a while".

And....."No."  Ugh.

Why does God say, "NO"?

Because he doesn't love you?  No, because he does love you.

Now follow me:

God knows what you need before you ask him - that's what Jesus said in Matthew 6:8.

But how well, do we know what God wants for us?

Bold statement:  God knows more than I do.  Can we agree on that?

Someone once wrote, "Too many of us want what we don't need and need what we don't want."

You and I (especially me) need to walk in God's agenda and not our own - and when we walk in our own agenda, God will mercifully withhold his answers to our prayers until we come to him with the right request.

Ruth Graham, wife of Billy Graham, once said:  "God has not always answered my prayers. If He had, I would have married the wrong man - several times."

God is not a vending machine - where you put in a prayer - and get out whatever you want (BTW - the stuff in vending machines will kill you - right).

But God will only give you what is for your benefit and spiritual growth. 

So if you, like me, are praying about something today, remember what I read this morning:  "You don't always need a plan - sometimes you just need to breathe trust (In God) - let go and see what happens"!

I'll finish this thought with you on Sunday!  See you there!

No comments: