Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 06, 2015

Harmful or harmless?

How do I deal (and make right decisions) with the gray areas of life?

How do I know whether something is harmful or harmless in my walk with Christ?

Ask yourself 4 questions (from Greg Laurie):
  1.  Does it build me up spiritually?
We all have free time - am I using my free time to grow in God?

Am I, in some form or fashion, growing in the Lord?

For instance - what do you listen to in my car as I drive (Just as an example)?

You have control over what you listen to.
 
Garbage in - Garbage out.
Your mind is like one giant computer that is receiving input at all times.  What are you inputting into your computer?
What are you feeding your heart and  your mind?
  1. Does it bring me under its power?
Paul writes in 1 Corinthians 6:12, "All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient."
The ultimate goal is to be under the power of one thing:  Jesus Christ.
I don't want to be under the power of food, television, gambling, alcohol.
I want to be under the power of God.
  1.  Do I have an uneasy conscience about it?
Paul writes in Romans 14:23, "Whatsoever is not of faith is sin."
In other words, "Whatsoever is done without conviction of its approval by God is sinful."
What do you do when there are no specific Biblical guidelines?
It all seems right - other Christians are doing it - so you proceed.
However, as you do, you are troubled in  your spirit.  You are uneasy.
That is your cue to shut it down.  Stop right there before your mind starts rationalizing.
  1. Would it cause someone to stumble?
This is the most important question of all.
Not everyone is tripped up by the same sin.
For one person, it may be lust.
For another - the stumbling block may be greed.
Another person may look at someone who has a problem with lust or greed and say, "Thank God, I would never do those things"
What is his problems?  Pride!
There are plenty of stumbling blocks out there to go around. 
4 important questions to ask yourself today.
Just some thoughts for a Wednesday.

No comments: