Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Doing the hard thing

I have found that most of the time in life - the way to success comes through the difficult path - whether it be success at home, at the job, or in our walk with Christ.
 
Each day brings it own challenges, its own "crossroads." 
 
Am I going to take the "easy path" or am I going to take the "hard path".
 
Am I going to do the easy thing or the hard thing?
 
Jesus said that it is as we die - we live.  As we give - we receive. 
 
Truly, the path to fulfilling our purpose in life is, as Scott Peck once wrote - "The Road Less Traveled."
 
I believe that I am speaking to someone today who has put off confronting someone they love with the truth.  I believe that I am speaking today to someone who has put off dealing with an addiction.
 
I believe that I am speaking to someone today who has put off going to the doctor.  I believe that I am speaking today to someone who continues to put off making a difficult decision.  I believe that I am speaking today to someone who has put off dealing with a relational conflict.
 
Ironically enough, the longer I take the easy path - the worse the situation will become.
 
Wars are fought continually because good people refuse to do the right thing - and let evil triumph so to speak.
 
In the early part of my ministry, John Stott was a spiritual hero of mine (through his books).  A brilliant theologian with a pastor's heart.
 
His last bit of advice to his assistant before he died in 2011 was simply this:  "Do the hard thing."
 
Do the hard thing.
 
Dr. Stott believed that choosing the easy trail, the road most taken, and the path of least resistance can only end in mediocrity - even if it comes with praise.
 
Just a thought for a Tuesday.

No comments: