Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The nonpossessive life

If there is one thing I know and practice - it is to "seize the day" or live life to its fullest - to embrace everything that each day presents.

I try to really enjoy life.

But here's what I also know:  To be able to fully enjoy the many good things this temporary life has to offer, we (I) must be detached from them.

What does that mean?

Well it doesn't mean to be indifferent or uninterested - a "whatever will be will be" kind of thing.

But it does mean that I am to be non possessive.

Life, and all that it brings (relationships, people, possessions, things) are gifts to be grateful for and not property to cling to.

In reality, in the eternal sense of things, I do not own anything.  It is only on "loan to me from God".

I am to not only be a good steward of what I have (possessions and relationships) but I am to hold on to them loosely.

Here is what we do:  We hold on to the things of this will with a tight fist, and hold on to the things of God loosely - when Jesus teaches us just the opposite.  It is as I hold on to God (for all I am worth) and the things of this world loosely that I can really enjoy life.

A person who lives life with an attitude of "non possessiveness" lives a free life.  A meaningful life.

Free from the "stuff" of this world.

You see, it is as we "let go" that we truly have.

It is as we realize that this world is not all there is - that everything around us is put into perspective.

But this freedom is only possible when we have a deep sense of attachment to God.

As I cling to God.  As I realize that I belong to God. 

This is what the "detached life" is all about.  A life that realizes that at the end of each day - my relationship with God is the only thing that is eternal - and worth holding on to - and then all else will fall into place in its proper order.

Just a thought for a Tuesday.

No comments: