Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Preparation and Christmas

I went to the Chicago Bears game last night at Soldier Field.

Needless to say, it was cold.

You only had to step outside of your house to know that it was cold, much less sitting in a stadium off Lake Michigan.

However, for me, it was very bearable (Brendon and I had a great time!!)

I'll tell you why.

I was prepared.

Preparation is the key to anything in life.

After having received "counsel" from numerous people on what to wear for the game, here is what I ended up wearing:

A pair of laced up snow boots.

Two pairs of thermal socks.

Toe warmers.  Foot warmers.

Long underwear (both tops and bottoms)

A pair of sweats.

Ski pants (that I wear when I ski).

A sweatshirt.

Another sweatshirt with a hood.

Body warmers around my lower back.

Body warmers in the pockets of my ski pants.

A Columbia jacket (with body warmers in the pockets).

A ski mask.  Ear muffs over the ski mask.  A stocking cap over the ski mask and the ear muffs.

Gloves. 

I sat on a fleece/sleeping bag that I had brought (just in case).

Drank a big cup of hot chocolate.

I was prepared (thanks to everyone who game me all the advice).

BTW, I am still not prepared to talk about the game.  I am going through the 5 stages of grief.  :) :)

The key to anything is preparation.

On our church sign (in front of church campus) it states, "Christmas Prep Headquarters".

Our desire is that in the services that we have (until Christmas Day) that your heart (and my heart) is prepared to celebrate Christmas the way it should be celebrated - with a focus on Christ, a focus on Immanuel or "God with us."

I know that you, as well as Debbie and I are preparing for family coming in, buying gifts, strategizing on those special days as to what to do as a family - but I encourage you to give as much energy as well to your walk with Christ in the next couple of weeks.

Each evening, around the dinner table, bring out one aspect of the Christmas story.  Share the names of Jesus with your kids.  Pray each night before you go to bed - thanking God that he loves us enough to send His son, Jesus, to live on this planet and die for our sin.

Preparation, preparation, preparation.

It is the key to success in anything, whether it be at your work, in your walk with Christ, or a cold night at Soldier Field.

Just a thought for a Tuesday.

George

No comments: