Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Life meaning trumps happiness

During my missions trip to Cape Town, South Africa, a couple of weeks ago, I woke up the first morning and went to breakfast (the missionaries put me up in a "bed and breakfast").

As I had my morning coffee, I sat across from a young Chinese man who was in South Africa as one of four representatives for a mass communications company, based in China.  They are in the country to help South Africa get "up to date".

He had somehow found out that I was a pastor, wanted to use his English (that he was learning) and so wanted to talk.

During the course of the conversation he mentioned, "I feel this deep hole within me that isn't satisfied by the things of this world." 

I hadn't had my morning caffeine yet, so it didn't register to me what he was saying.

We talked some more and he again stated, "I feel this deep whole within me that isn't satisfied by the things of this world."

Now, upon hearing that the second time, and sometimes not being the brightest guy in the world, even I recognized that this was an opportunity to share my faith (the caffeine was kicking in).

We talked about the things of God - and when I left him - he was reading some of Watchman Nee's writings (a Christian Chinese man of the last century).

(As a side note - it is amazing how God sends an American to witness to a Chinese man in South Africa!)

According to a recent poll, our "happiness levels" are at a four-year high - nearly 60% of all Americans today feel happy.

But a new study also cautions that there is something more important than happiness - finding meaning or a life purpose.

Happiness relegates itself to nothing if there is no purpose tagged to it.

Even living in a paradise can lose its effectiveness - if a person is living with no purpose.

You and I were born, created for a purpose.

I would suggest to you that the ultimate purpose is to life for God, with God in you.

So what's the more important goal in life - happiness or meaning?

Again, new studies show that having purpose and meaning in life increases overall life satisfaction.  And recent research also shows that the single-minded pursuit of happiness actually makes people less happy.

Final thoughts?  What we all need is Jesus.

Just a thought for a Tuesday.

No comments: