Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 05, 2013

flexibility and self-esteem

I've always said that my self-esteem needs to be tied into my "God esteem" or how God looks at me.

God love me.  God likes me.  God saves me.  God forgives me.

I am thankful that my "self-esteem" can always be seen through the "God esteem" colored glasses of my faith in Him.

At the same time, there are characteristics of someone who does have a healthy self-esteem.

You know that you have a healthy self-esteem if:

You have a sense of humor.

You are open to new ideas and experiences.

You preserve harmony and dignity under stress.

You speak and move with ease and spontaneity.

You are comfortable giving and receiving compliments and affection.

You can speak honestly about accomplishments and shortcomings.

You project an attitude of flexibility and inventiveness.

As you progress in life, you have a choice.  Am I going to become more or less flexibly as I grow older?

I was reading today that trees look strong compared with the wild reeds in the field. 

But when the storm comes, trees can be uprooted, whereas the wild reeds, while they are moving back and forth by the wind will remain rooted and stand up again after the storm has calmed down.

Here's what I know:  When we cling to our own positions (traditions, way of doing things) and are not willing to let our hearts be moved back and forth a little by the ideas or actions of others, we may easily be broken.

Please note:  Being like wild reeds does not mean being wishy-washy, nor does it suggest that you and I should fall into ungodly compromise.

But it does mean that we move a little with the winds and culture of the times while remaining solidly anchored in the ground (our faith in Christ).

I find that people who are humorless, intense and opinionated about church life or life in general end up breaking in their spirits and become bitter people.

We can be flexible, friends, while remaining rooted in God.

Just a thought for a Thursday.

No comments: