Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Playing basketball and life

I have been playing basketball for 46 years, having first picked up a round, orange ball in the fifth grade.

Basketball has always been there for me.

Having moved every three years of my life (up until 1997), it has always been a way to "break the ice" with a new crowd of people.

When I was in High School, it kept me out of a lot of trouble.

When I was in College, it was a great distraction from the stress of my studies (when I studied).

When I was in my twenties, thirties and forties, it was a great way to meet people outside the church.

I played basketball last night for the first time in a long time.

Great group of guys.

I was the oldest person there.

Here are my observations (now that I am in my fifties):

Observation number one: 

For the first time in my life, I really didn't want to play. 

Night free.  Sitting on the couch watching sports.  Rainy and Cold outside.  Versus:  Getting dressed, getting out and getting fatigued from playing.

I chose to play.

And I was glad I did.  Good for the body, good for the soul.  Good for the spirit.

Sometimes we have to step out of our comfort zones and move ahead, step by step, even when we don't feel like it.

Observation number two:

I found out last night that my game is no longer existent.  It is gone.  G.O.N.E. 

As the evening went on, I found myself more excited about establishing relationships with the others that were there - than playing well.

Relationship is more important than winning.

Observation number three:

I can no longer talk "trash".  To talk trash (howbeit it "Christian trash"), one has to play well.

I was quiet the entire night.  I have lost the right to "speak out".

Sometimes the best thing to say is to say nothing, especially if you aren't qualified.

Observation number four:

At my age, I am faced with relying on "who I am" rather than "what I do" in relationships with others.  I can't do what I used to, but I can always be who I am, and continue to grow.

While our "outer man" is deteriorating, we are to never stop learning and growing in our inner spirit and soul.

Once we are through learning - we are through.

Now that I have perhaps, and just perhaps impressed you with four great life lessons, let me tell you that I still, I still miss playing well.  :)

Just some thoughts for a Wednesday.

No comments: