Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Occupations and Preoccupations

We live in a culture that identifies itself by its work.

What is the third question you ask someone after you meet them (the first being, what is your name, the second being, where do you live)?

"What do you do?"  "What is your occupation?"

And you respond by saying, "I am a carpenter".  "I am an accountant".

You see, the "I am" of our lives are wrapped up in what we do and not in who we are.

Ministering as a pastor is what I do, it is not who I am.

So, if you follow me, if a person's occupation is threatened, or if retirement draws near, a great fear can overtake a person.

After all, who are we when we no longer have an occupation?

However, I would suggest that even more enslaving than our occupations are our preoccupations, or those thoughts that fill our mind even before we get there.

Those "ifs" of life.

"What if I get the flu?  What if I lose my job?  What if my child is not home on time?  What if there is not enough food tomorrow?  What is a war starts?  What if the world comes to an end.  What if....?"

Most of our anxiety and fear in life do not come from our occupations but our preoccupations. 

Possible career change,s possible family conflicts, possible illnesses, possible disasters - all of these can make us fearful, suspicious and nervous. 

They will keep you in bondage and prevent you from living in freedom. 

We can begin to live in the possible negative future, instead of living, truly living in the present.

We live in the land of the "possible" and not in the land of the "present" and the "presence" of God.

Why not take a step back today from all of those preoccupying worries of the future, and just enjoy today - and the presence of God?

Jesus said in Matthew 6:34, "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Just a thought for a Wednesday.

No comments: