Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Worshipping God with the right response

Wednesday!  Pure Worship!

It has become the highlight of my week!

Tonight, I am going to share briefly concerning, "Worshipping God with the right response."

Worshipping with the "right response" means that I worship as a disciple of Christ.

To be a disciple, I must, "take up my cross daily and follow...."  Luke 9:23

I must worship him not "just" on Sundays, but throughout the week. 

I must "count the cost."

Discipleship in worship is a practical call.

It is a call to be faithful to God, to be faithful in worshipping God, and to be obedient to God.

In short - as I am faithful as I am obedient - I am worshipping God.

We must take it from being a paradoxical principle (as I die, I live) to a practical part of our lives as we worship God.

Worship is a verb.

It is something I do. 

It is something I do - it is something I "act out" in obedience to Christ.

Are you faithful in your walk with Christ?

Really now, ask yourself that question.  Am I faithful?

You might say, "how can I judge if I am faithful?" 

Are you responsible?  Is your word your bond?  Do you choose to forgo distractions for the goal of walking with Jesus?

Psalms 31:23,24 tells us, "Love the Lord, all his saints!  The Lord preserves the faithful, but the proud he pays back in full.  Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord."

As we are faithful God preserves us, He watches over us.  He strengthens us in heart.  He promotes us.

Believe it or not, I used to make pies.  Apple pies.  By itself, baking soda doesn't taste good.  But when you include it with the apples and sugar, it tastes great.

Worry over the prospect of trouble, bodily illness, and false accusations (as David experienced) might each taste like a spoonful of baking soda.

Yet, God knows how to make the ingredients of your life into a final result which will bring you to peace and joy.  All things do work together for God when it comes to God and us.

As I keep this principle before me, I am worshipping God.

So, God responds to my faithfulness.  But God also responds to my faithfulness in worshipping Him.

Psalms 50:23 tells us, "He who sacrifices thank offerings (worships) honors me, and he prepares the way so that I may show him the salvation of God."

In the notes of Jack Hayford's "Spirit filled" life Bible it states (concerning this verse), "Those who respond by restoring pure worship are saved from impending judgment."

When I read that there was an explosion of God's spirit in my heart.

That is a direct word from the Lord for our church.  God is saying to us, "As you worship me and make me first place in your life, pure worship," you not only glorify me, but you will not experience my judgement.

As we praise Him, He shows us the "salvation" of God which speaks of a deeper revelation.  A deeper understanding of God's Word. 

There is power in praise.

Daniel (Daniel 6) prays three times a day and gives thanks to God and as a result God delivers him from the lions den.

Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego praise God and as a result, God delivers them from a fiery furnace.

Jehoshaphat sends out the choir before the armies of Is real, praising God, and as a result their enemies are defeated.

The people praise, Jehoshaphat prays and as a result the spirit of the Lord fell upon the prophet Jahaziel in 2 Chronicles 20:15, "Thus says the Lord to you:  Do not be afraid nor dismayed because of this great multitude, for the battle is not yours, but God's."

Finally, my obedience to Christ is worship.

As I am obedient, the Lord promises, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."  Hebrews 13:5  "Come to Me all you how labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest."  Matthew 11:28

As I am obedient, Isaiah 48:17,18 shares with us the result: 

"This is what the Lord says, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel:  I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go.  If only you had paid attention to my commands, your peace would have been like a river, your righteousness like the waves of the sea."

That word "teaches" is an interesting word.  It means to instruct, train; prod, goad; to cause someone to learn.  The origin of the verb may be traced to the goading of cattle.  Bottom line?  I learn through a great variety of goading such as events or lessons in my life.

When we respond to these goadings, we experience peace like a river.

And prosperity and peace is the result.

There is no price tag for peace.  Lying down a night with a clear conscience, looking a a client in the eye at the end of a business transaction, smiling at your spouse upon returning from a lengthy trip, that is a blessing from God.  A response from God to our clear, purposeful obedience.

Sin breeds guilt.  Guilt drives away peace, creating a vacuum of despair, disaster and depression.

Are you at peace today? 

If not, pray a prayer of forgiveness and combine that with a new determination (with the help of the Holy Spirit) to be obedient to the word as evidence by a resolution to worship which can cleanse your spirit and release joy and peace.

It is a spiritual fact verified by scientific investigation, praise releases endorphins, proteins that bring positive and emotional responses.

So, be obedient, come to God with a broken and contrite heart, fear God, do good works, have faith and trust in the Lord.

Good stuff for a Wednesday.

No comments: