Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

"who are you to judge me?"

"Who are you to judge me?"

I get that.

I get the fact that we are to love everyone as God loves everyone.

I get the fact that we must first look at ourselves before we look at others.

I get the fact that I must first take the sin out of my own life before I challenge someone about the sin in theirs.

I get the fact that if I am eager to tell others about their failure or my difference of opinion, I am judging.

I get that.  I have worked my entire Christian adult life in not being judgemental.

Everyone is just trying to do the best they can - especially me.

Yet, let's not forget the fact that there is a huge difference between being judgmental and having discernment.

God does not call us to condemn.  God does, however, call us to be discerning.

Discernment in the biblical sense is knowing the difference between right and wrong, good and evil, righteous and unrighteous.

Judging in the sense of condemnation is in the way that discernment is expressed.

David Kinnaman and Gabe Lyons' in their book "UnChristian:  What a New Generation really Thinks about Christianity," give us this quote:

"Nearly nine out of ten young outsiders (87%) said that the term "judgmental" accurately describes present-day Christianity.....Just to put this in practical terms, when you introduce yourself to a twenty something neighbor, and you mention your faith, chances are he or she will think of you as judgmental."

Most of us try our hardest not to be judgemental and work hard at that.  Yet, that is the way most of the world looks at Christians.

When I elevate myself over you because of your sin - that is judging.

When I ostracize you from relationship with me because of your sin or difference of opinion - that is judging.

When I put your down as a person because you differ from me - that is judging.

When Jesus says in Luke 6:37, "Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned," this is what he is talking about.

Judgment causes us to see someone else not as a person, but as a thing - less than human, less valuable.

And history shares with us that once that door is open, we see terrible things:  segregation, injustice, abuse - even genocide.

At the same time, under the "banner of love" we as Christians must not be intimidated into not standing up for truth and righteousness.

The very ones who cry out "intolerance" to the Christian community are "intolerant" of our viewpoints and biblical admonitions. 

It has become wrong - to tell someone that they are wrong.

It has become wrong to stand up for your beliefs under the guise of love and acceptance.

I will not devalue you as a person.  I will continue to love you.  I will continue to have relationship with you.  But please don't ask me to water down my beliefs, or try to manipulate me or put me down because my beliefs are different from yours.

Just a thought for a Tuesday.



No comments: