Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Are you willing?

Just as a reminder - each Wednesday I am going to blog concerning some thoughts that I will be presenting in greater detail in our "Pure Worship" services.

Tonight - God calls us to worship - are we willing to accept that call - and how should we be ready to worship?

We looked at Moses last week.  A man who risked everything in order to pursue the call of God.

Before I forget it, know this.  God is calling you to worship.  Everyone of us.

Moses notices a burning thorn bush.  And turns to see what it was.  He moves closer and risks entering into the power of the presence of God.

It is a voluntary step.  God calls.  Moses responds.

That first step toward God is so important.  It brings not only his presence, but blessing on our lives.

It opens the door to a meaningful conversation with God. 

If I could use a metaphor:  A door opens; and amazingly enough, in spite of our sinfulness and weakness, we control both the speed and the trajectory of the opening of the door.

Our attitude moves or stymies the hand of God in our lives.

The questions becomes as you enter into worship:  what is your attitude?

You and I have four basic choices.

We can stiffen our necks, thinking to ourselves that everything is fine without God.  "We don't need Him right at this moment."  "I'm tired."  "I don't have any real needs right at this moment."

We can choose to ignore the voice of God and go our own way.

Or we can even attempt to placate the call of God to worship, saying in effect, "Let me see what you want, and if it is win/win for me, I will pray about it and consider it."

Obviously the best choice is to willfully obey God.

To respond to his calling to worship.

How can I respond:

I can be sensitive to the presence of God.

When God calls me to worship - I can be ready to respond.

Luke 1:26-28 tells us, "In the sixth month, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee, to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David.  The virgin's name was Mary.  The angel went to her and said, "Greetings, you who are highly favored!  The Lord is with you."

Mary is a young teenager.  Going through life when all of a sudden, bam, an angel appears.

Why come to Mary?  Why not any other teenager in Nazareth.  Because Mary was sensitive to the things of God.  Mary had a closeness to God that placed in her a position of being ready and willing to respond to the calling of God. 

Don't get me wrong, verse 29 tells us that she was afraid.  She was troubled at what the angel said.  But Mary was sensitive to the presence of God that she was willing to risk - and to obey. 

Am I so sensitive to the presence of God that I am willing to risk in worship?

She goes on to give us one of the most beautiful songs of worship in the Bible (verses 46-55).  I encourage you to read Mary's worship song.

Mary is a model for us today:  As I remain sensitive to the Lord - and follow up that sensitivity with obedience - I will be ready to worship.

But we must not only be sensitive to God's call to worship, we must be serious about it as well.

Seriousness does not mean something that is boring or dry.  Never a smile.  Some people look like they swallowed lemon juice as they worship.

It means that I take to heart this call to worship.

Abraham is an example of that.for us.

The Old Testament patriarch was serious about the call of God.

He would not be trapped in his possessions, locale, or friendship.

God speaks in Genesis 12:1 and says, "Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you."

He doesn't tell him why - or tell him where he will go.  He simply says go.  And Abraham is obedient.

He leaves his country club membership (Abraham was wealthy), his season tickets to the Bears, even his on-going reservation table at Morton's to go where literally only God knew.

His faith was tested.  But Abraham took the call of God seriously.

And Genesis 13:1-4 states, "And Abraham.....came to Bethel.....where he had first built an altar.  There Abram called on the name of the Lord."  He worshipped God.

An altar is symbolic.  At an Old Testament altar, people reflected about God, dialogued with God, and received strength to continue the task.  It is an altar of worship.

At this altar of worship, Abraham could be honest and transparent, opening himself up to receiving from God. 

I need those times of worship.  It helps me remember what God desires and then to obey.

From that he received the blessings of God.

Finally, in receiving the call of God to worship - we must be submissive.

Teachable.

Those who are teachable will grow in spiritual maturity.

They learn from their mistakes and gain insight into the challenges of life.

Being teachable requires an attitude of humility.  It means that I take God more seriously than I take myself.

To be submissive to God's calling to worship - I will not be prideful or stubborn.  I will recognize that God can speak to others.  I will learn from those older than me.  I will learn from those younger than me, both in age and in the Lord. 

It means that I will be submissive to those who are leading in worship, knowing that they are hearing from God. 

There's a great story in Matthew 18 where the disciples come up to Jesus and say, "who is the greatest in the kingdom of God?"  Who is the best worshipper?

Jesus takes a little child and had him stand among there - kind of like using this child as a prop for what he was going to say.

He tells us in verse 3 and 4 to become like little children.  To humble ourselves like a little child as we come in worship.

To have a child like spirit in worship.  To be totally dependant upon the Father.  Knowing that the Father knows best. 

In a healthy parent child relationship, when the parent calls, the child responds.

A little child is expected to obey with whining or complaining.

Some people are like little kids when they hear the calling of God.  "I don't want to worship."  "I don't feel like worshipping."  "Why do I have to worship?"

Being childlike in worship is not being childish.  But it is being totally submissive to the will and purpose of God as I lift my voice up to him.

I must be open, humble and ready to receive.  "Teach me oh God" is my prayer as I worship.  Speak to me - and I will do your bidding.

Are you sensitive to the leading of God?  Are you serious about worship?  Are you submissive to God?



No comments: