Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Focusing on the good

It is more than ironic to me that today, September 11, 2012, is exactly like THAT day, September 11, 2001.

It is gorgeous out.

Beautiful.  Sunny.

I can sense that fall is just around the corner.

I don't mean to sound goofy, but every time I see a plan in the sky on a day like today, I remember September 11, 2001.  Every time.

I was in my office at First Assembly of God in Battle Creek, Michigan.  Went to the nursery (where we had a T.V. with cable) and watched is all unfold.

It was a day that changed our lives.

All kinds of questions came out of that one day.

Why does God allow evil?

Where is God when evil happens?

Many, in a real search for the truth, leave the faith.  The unanswered questions are too much.

I can understand that.

Life has a way of throwing us things that shake the foundation of everything we believe in.

The ratio for those who will question God and his existence in their lifetime is 100%.

I read a quote today from Ravi Zacharias, the Canadian-American philosopher, apologist and evangelist:  "To walk away from one's faith because of unanswered questions about evil is to walk into a storm of unanswered questions about good."

My take on that quote is this:  Perhaps the more relevant and even practical question is not, "Why is there evil in the world?" Or, "Why does God allow evil?"

But, "Why is there good?"  "Why does God allow good in the world."

You and I both know that we don't deserve it.  At our core, we are selfish, sinful and seared with the things of the world. 

Perhaps, just perhaps, we shouldn't focus so much on the evil of this world, but on the good.

In other words, every day, we should look for the good, for that for which we should be thankful, for that which comes our way that brings us joy.

I am not saying that we shouldn't work toward making evil situations good.  I am not saying that we should stick our head in the sand concerning bad things happening (especially to good people).

I am saying that there is so much good out there.  And we should be grateful.  And we should be thankful.

And we should thank God, not for what we don't have, but for what we do have.

Just a thought for a Tuesday.

No comments: