Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Worship as a verb

Worship is a verb - not a noun.

It is something we do - not something we watch.

Ben Merold said this about worship:

"In most churches we have the preacher performing, with God as the prompter, and the people as the audience.  In truth, worship should be the people performing, with the preacher as the prompter, and God as the audience."

True, authentic worship can be changeable, cultural and movable according to the times and era we live in.

Let's talk about worship from a biblical perspective.

What is authentic worship?

It is worship of God alone.

God desires that we worship Him.  Not a style.  Not a preference.  Not certain songs.

God desires that we worship Him.

Eugene Peterson has written, "Worship does not satisfy our hunger for God - it whets our appetite.  Our need for God is not taken care of by engaging in worship - it deepens.  It overflows the hour and permeates the week."

True worship creates a desire for more of God's presence.

Anytime I allow myself to be focused more on the vehicle of worship rather than God himself - I am creating an idol.

Worship is something I do - not a preference I choose.

It is worship from the heart.

You and I both know that we can stand through an entire worship time without having been touched by God.

Worship is to be from my heart.  It is the process of connecting with God's Spirit. 

Even more than my outward expressions of worship is the attitude of my soul.  Am I wanting to connect with God or just enjoy a few good tunes?

It is worship that is dependent upon the Holy Spirit.

Jesus said that we are to worship God is "spirit and in truth."  John 4:24

As I worship, I am to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit.  Excellent in worship is admirable.  Experiencing God is even more so.

I must never pull back from a moving of God's Spirit for the sake of excellence.

It is a focus on celebratory praise.

Psalms 66:1-4 tells us, "Shout with joy to God, all the earth!  Sing the glory of his name; make his praise glorious!  Say to God, "How awesome are your deeds!  So great is your power that you enemies cringe before you.  All the earth bows down to you; they sing praise to you, they sing praise to your same."

Have you ever literally shouted out praises to God? 

Vocal praise is glorious praise.

Rod Cooper has said, "I used to be the chaplain for the Astros and the Oilers when I was in Houston, Texas.  After I'd do a chapel, they'd give me tickets.  One time in the Astrodome, I watched Earl Campbell run over everybody, his own men included, to get to the goal line.

When he got to the goal line, he put the ball down.  The place went crazy.  People were giving high fives and jumping around.  The scoreboard went off.  The same thing happened when the Astros hit a home run.

It was a ringing shout, because their man cored a touchdown.

Worship is to be a time of anticipation and expectation.  We come together because all week God has been knocking home runs and scoring touchdowns in our lives. 

It is a time to celebrate what God has done for us.

It is a balance of seriousness with enthusiasm

God is a holy God.  There are to be times of celebration.  There are to be times of awe and reverence.

I guess what I am saying is this: 

Why don't we focus on God this Sunday morning?  Sounds levels, tune choices, temperatures and all that - let's look to God and experience his presence! 

Just a thought for a Thursday.

No comments: