Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The good and the bad

I must admit that on a personal level, Debbie and I just experienced the best vacation that we have ever had (that is without our kids).

As I said yesterday, it was the "vacation from heaven." 

For the first time in 32 years of ministry, I was able to empty my mind and think about a whole lot of nothing.

A "much to do about nothing" as Seinfeld would imply.

As I came into my office, there was a letter on my desk.  It was a masterful work of a seasoned Christian who speaks in the "Christian passive aggressive voice" - the "I am angry voice" - but tries to cover it up with questions that they they thought they already had the answers to.

After all these years, I can easily read between the lines - and yet I believe I responded in a gracious way.

While I know better to be "too far down" when things like that come, or for that matter, "too far up" when things are going good, it still kind of made me pause. 

Coming back, I am pumped up and ready to fly with the eagles - and bam - someone takes a shot.

That was yesterday.

Today I received an anonymous card in the mail.

The card has a bright yellow flower on it and states, "A cheerful thought, like a lovely flower, can brighten any day."

And here is what the person wrote:  "This is just a note to encourage you!  You are doing a great work.  God bless your home and may He strengthen and encourage you.  Thanks for your prayers and leadership.  Thanks for making the word of God very clear to us!"

Wow.  I must admit that it made me feel like I had just jumped into a cold pool of water on a hot day.  That I had just walked in the kitchen with bread baking.  That I was under the covers, warm, on a freezing day.  You get the picture.

It made me feel good.

Here's the point for today:  Life is like two rails on a railroad track.  You walk down that track with one foot on each rail.

At times, we have something good happened, and yet there is always something bad that happens as well.

No matter how good things are in your life, there is always something bad that needs to be addressed.  And no matter how bad things are in your life, there is always something good you can thank God for.

There is the bad.  There is the good.  We must learn to accept and even embrace both in our lives - knowing that God is working "all things together for good."

So in the happy moments, Praise God.  In the difficult moments, Seek God.  In the quiet moments, Worship God.  In the painful moments, Trust God, in every moment, Thanks God.

One more note:  I encourage you to write an email/text/note of encouragement to someone today.  Everyone is just trying to do the best they can.  I encourage you to do it today.  Who knows what ray of sunshine you will bring in someones dark day?  And you will be ministered to in return.

Scriptures on encouragement:

"Anxiety in a man's heart weights it down, but an encouraging word makes it glad."  Proverbs 12:25

"Therefore encourage (admonish, exhort) one another and edify (strengthen and build up) one another, just as you are doing."  1 Thessalonians 5:11

Just a thought for a Tuesday.

No comments: