Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

regrets

I've always been just a little bit uncomfortable with the statement that some make in response to the question, "if you could change anything in your past, that you have said or done, would you change anything."  And the person responds, "nope, nothing at all."

I guess I am of the opinion that there are many things in my life that I would change.

I do have regrets.  And thank God for forgiveness.  And thank God for forgiving people.

I am not who I was, and I am not yet whom I want to be.

My challenge and commitment is to live the rest of my life without creating any regrets.

I was reading today about Bonnie Ware, an Australian nurse, who has spent several years working in palliative care, caring for patients in the last 12 weeks of their lives.

As Bonnie walked with her patients through the final stages of their lives, she witnessed how many of her patients gained "phenomenal clarity of vision" as they approached death.

Ware claims, "When questioned about any regrets they had or anything they would do differently, common themes surfaced again and again."

According to Ware, these are the top five regrets of the dying:

1.  I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me. Bonnie Ware added, "Health brings a freedom few realize, until they no longer have it."

2.  I wish I hadn't worked so hard. Ware observed, "This [regret] came from every male patient that I nursed."

3.  I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings. "Many people suppressed their feelings in order to keep peace with others …. Many [patients] developed illnesses related to the bitterness and resentment they carried as a result."

4.  I wish I'd stayed in touch with my friends. "There are many deep regrets about not giving friendships the time and effort that they deserved. Everyone misses their friends when they are dying."

5.  I wish I'd let myself be happier. "Many did not realize until the end that happiness is a choice. They had stayed stuck in old patterns and habits."

What are the lessons we can learn on this Tuesday?

Be yourself.

Keep balance in your life.

Let go of resentments.

Reconnect with friends and family.

Enjoy today.

Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is not yet here, today is all we have.

No comments: