Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Overcoming Goliaths

David and Goliath.  You and I know the story.

Goliath's are a symbol of the trials and tribulations that we all face.

A young teenager (the runt in a family of 8 boys - David) slays a giant 9 feet tall (Goliath) with a well-worn leather sling and a smooth stone - and an UNBENDING CONFIDENCE IN GOD.

The story concludes with this verse:  "Thus David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone, and he struck the Philistine and killed him; but there was no sword in David's hand."  1 Samuel 17:50.

Let me give you a couple of quick thoughts about this:

- prevailing over giants (trials and tribulations) in our lives doesn't happen by using their techniques.  You don't fight an ugly, intimidating giant by becoming ugly and intimidating.

David didn't even carry a sword into battle!  His greatest piece of armor, the lethal weapon that made him unique and gave him victory, was his inner shield of faith.

Faith is what kept David free from fear - and unintimidated by the threats of the giant.  He kept his cool when everyone else was losing theirs.  Faith in God.

- Conquering giants isn't done without great skill and discipline

To be God's warrior, to fight His way, calls for much more self-control and Holy Spirit reliance than you and I think.  Using the sling and the stone of the Holy Spirit is far more difficult than swinging the club of the flesh.  It calls for a total reliance on God.

Are you facing a giant?  I encourage you to not try a bigger club or running in fear.  I encourage you to turn your Goliath over to God - the great giant killer.

After all, as the writer to the Hebrews states in Hebrews 13:5,6:  "Because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."  So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.  What can man do to me?"

No comments: