Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A dog and its vomit

A dog and its vomit.

Yuck.

Doesn't sound good to me.

I have an app on my phone that gives a Psalms or a Proverb every day.  I don't look at it every day, but every so often I do when I need to be uplifted in my spirit.

This morning, I clicked on the app and the Proverb was from Proverb 26:11, "As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly."

So much for being uplifted.  :)

Why do dogs return to their vomit?

They have a low threshold to vomiting.  Dogs fail to recognize the difference between real food and their own vomit.  In the same way, we can fail to recognize sin in our lives and keep going back to it again and again, not realizing how distasteful it is.

They are used to it.  In the same way, we can become so habitualized to our sin that we lose sight of the tastes and the smells of what we are doing.

I guess what I am saying is this (I'm going to the point quickly so that I don't continue to gross myself out):

If  you have gone back to some sinful habit or action from the past - stop!  Do a turn around today!

Recognize it for what it is - a stench in the nostrils of God!

I would encourage each of us to pause for just a moment as you are reading this and ask God, "in what area of my life have I returned to that which has been forgiven and put aside?"  "What old habit (that has been laid aside) have I picked back up?"

Gossip?  Slander?  Worry?  Anxiousness?  Fear?  Alcohol?  Drugs?

Don't be a dog today - go back to being a brother or sister in the Lord - filled with God's Spirit.  Eat of the pure, tasteful Word of God. 

And you will be filled, satisfied and strengthened.

Just a challenging thought for today.

No comments: