Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The church and the home

There is one generational struggle that I see happening in the church today.

It's the struggle between how much we should do at home and how much we should do at the church.

Can there be a cooperation between the two - or a constant struggle as to how much time we spend with each?

Probably the best word here is balance.

When Debbie and I were raising our kids, we took our kids to church constantly.  Every night the church doors were open (to exaggerate just a little bit), we were there.

I grew up the same way - sleeping on the pew of the church on many a Sunday night (and I was 16 - just kidding)

I think I turned out okay (which is debatable I know) and I know my kids are turning out okay.

All I am calling for is balance. 

Some parents have gone to the other extreme, not coming to church but once a week, if at all, under the guise of "family time."

I love "family time," don't get me wrong, but we can't use it as an excuse to not participate in the life of the church.  Besides, what better place to have "family time", but with other Christians?

Now then, that being said, I know that there are those who might be involved in a church or with religious activities to the point that their home life is hurting - and to them I say, if you are too involved,  you are heading for trouble.

But to be candid with you, I don't see that a lot.

Just a thought for a Tuesday.

No comments: