Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Busyness and hearing God's voice

I would suggest that the greatest hindrance to hearing God's voice is busyness.

We are all busy.

It's almost amusing to me the way we "wear" busyness like a badge of honor.

How are you today?  "Busy," we respond with our chests puffed out.

"Busy, busy."

Okay, we are all busy.

And at the same time we are stressed out, burned out and wondering what the next step is for our lives.

Here's what I know:

We fill our lives with what we want to fill them with.

Facebook, emails, T.V., movies, books, "family time", sports, shopping, reading, it's all there - ready to be taken.

All of it "good" in and of itself.

Sometimes we need to be like the little boy, aged 5, by the name of Andrew, who was very much into computers.  He was overheard saying the Lord's prayer and did really well till near the end when he said, "And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from email."

That might be true for all of us.

"Deliver us oh Lord, from email."  From facebook.  From T.V.

Nothing, absolutely nothing is wrong with facebook and T.V.  But the key word here is "balance".

How can we do this?

Well, I would suggest that one way is to come to our prayer and praise meetings on Wednesday evenings.  Spend time in God's presence.  Wait upon the Lord.  Let God speak to you.

You can be a "Martha" and be busy for God - but we all need those "Mary" times when we just simply dwell in the presence of God.

And let me tell you from experience - 5 minutes in the presence of God - does more for me than 5 days worrying and wondering about God's will and direction for my life.

I don't often slow down - but when I do - I like to be in the presence of God.

Just a thought for a Thursday.......

No comments: