Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Pay it forward

Paul writes in 1 Corinthians 13:4, "Love is kind."

Kindness is shown in our actions and words that we give to those who cross our paths each day of our lives.

Yet kindness is also something that we can seek out to do to everyone we meet.

It can be "pro-active".

The past couple of days I have participated in our "pay it forward" effort to connect people to our church and to Christ.

The idea is that you (or me) pay for someones coffee, someones meal, anything that will encourage them.  And...then hand them a card with our church's name and address on it.

Yesterday and today, I have driven through the drive-thru at Starbucks, and paid for the person behind me. 

The first day, the woman taking my money at the drive-thru window was excited and pleased that we at our church were doing this.  She gave me a big "thumbs up".

Today, as I left the drive-thru, I purposefully left slowly - to be able to watch the reaction of the car behind me upon finding out that their order was paid for.  The two women were astonished.  Their mouths flew open in delight.

Here are some tips to help you in this ministry.

Pray about the person that God is leading you to "pay it forward" for.
Pray after the person receives the gift of "pay it forward."  Pray that they will connect to our church - and to God.

Love is kind.

And you know what?  I felt really good is doing this.  It made me feel good knowing that I was showing kindness and love to people I didn't even know.

No comments: