Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Being there

I go to Cardinal Fitness 6 days a week. 

I go there to stay healthy.

But one of the primary reasons why I go to Cardinal Fitness is that it places me in a position of connecting with nonchurched people.

As a pastor, my role is the training of followers of Christ for ministry (Ephesians 4);  yet I never want to become so buried in to that task that I'm not regularly spending time with those who don't know Christ.

I need that kind of connection not only for my spiritual health but emotional sanity as well.

One guy that I meet on a daily basis (at Cardinal Fitness) is a guy whose name is - well, let's just call him Bill (not his real name). 

"Bill" is a good guy, but he does not have a relationship with Jesus.  His language is foul.  He drinks a lot.  He has the typical problems in his life and family that we all face.

"Bill" and I talk regularly.  He knows I am a pastor.  Yet one of the reasons why I think Bill feels free to speak with me is that he knows I am not going to judge him or come down on him in a heavy handed way.

You see, I want to position myself to not only be "Bill's friend," but to be there when he will need a true, spiritual friend the most.  In other words, I want to be there when he needs God.

The names Jerry Falwell and Larry Flynt may provoke strong reactions from some people in our culture. But the following story, shared by Falwell's son Jonathan, describes a moving conversation between the Baptist pastor and the publisher of Hustler magazine.

Years ago, Jonathan traveled with his dad to Florida where the senior Falwell was debating Larry Flynt.

Jonathan recalls:

"Mr. Flynt asked my dad if we could give him a ride back to Lynchburg in my dad's private jet. Dad said yes so we traveled to the airport and boarded a beautiful black and gold Gulfstream III. As we flew to Virginia, I sat across from dad and Mr. Flynt as they had a long conversation about sports, food, politics and other ordinary topics. I was amazed and bewildered because they kept talking like old friends.

After we dropped off Mr. Flynt in Lynchburg, I asked dad, "How come you could sit on that airplane and carry on a conversation with Larry Flynt as if you guys were lifelong buddies? Dad, he's the exact opposite of everything you believe in; he does all of the things you preach against; and yet you were treating him like a member of your own church. Why?"

Dad's response changed my whole outlook on ministry. "Jonathan," he said, "there's going to be a day when Larry is hurting and lonely, and he'll be looking for help and guidance. He is going to pick up the phone and call someone who can help him. I want to earn the right to be that phone call!"

Think of that person whom you come in contact with on a daily basis who does not know Christ.  I would encourage you to continue to be that person's friend.  Who knows?  You might be the one to lead them to Christ. 

Just a thought for a Wednesday.

No comments: