Total Pageviews

Monday, August 31, 2009

Thoughts from the weekend

Thoughts from the weekend:

I went Saturday to the golf outing with the men of our church. Had a great time. It was colder than I thought so I ended up wearing a stocking cap and borrowing Hal Kaufman's windbreaker....all the while....I was wearing shorts.

Our team tied for first at 3 under par. There's hardly anything better than being with a group of guys and kidding around and acting like little kids.

I love it.

Thanks to Jon Hollowell for all the work he put into making the outing such a success.

Prices were given out afterward at the pizza parlor. Our team won tickets to a White Sox game.

Sunday morning. What can I say. It seems like each week lately, I've been sharing on Monday of what God has been doing in our services.

There was a powerful sense of God's presence!

While we need to go back to two services on Sunday morning because of the parking situation, I am going to miss the one service format of having our church family worshipping together!

I was also thrilled at having all of our life group hosts and leaders in front of our congregation. The line went from one end of the room to the other.

To me, it was a powerful visual that we as a community have really "bought in" to the concept of small groups!

Remember, I'll say it again:

We desire that everyone in our church...

- come on Sunday morning
- participate in a life group
- serve in a ministry

I am very grateful to David and Hermila Dewes for their leadership with our life groups. God is bringing us several younger couples that are bringing a passion and love for Jesus to our ministry team!

If you get a chance, stop by and look at our new property site. They continue to change the landscape, it looks like it's "all systems are go".

I have a book title in front of me here in my study entitled, "God is up to Something Great" by Tony Evans.

Truly, God is up to something great in our church!

Can I share a thought with you? Never, ever underestimate God. Even in the midst of your darkest hour, never underestimate what God can do.

Yesterday during the teaching, I shared that we are not to sin. That sin opens the door to Satanic attack and bondage in our lives.

Good advice. God doesn't want you to sin.

Yet at the same time, let me share with you that if you do fail, as you and I will, daily, God will use our failures for His glory.

Even (or should I say especially) in the midst of Satanic attack and our failures, God ALWAYS HAS THE UPPER HAND.

You see, God can take your most monstrous failures and turn them into triumphs such as you never could imagine.

Look at the Apostle Peter's failure and restoration, and he turned the world upside down for Christ.

So while we are not to fail in order to succeed, if we do fail, God will use that negative experience in our lives to facilitate or spiritual maturity and the growth of His Kingdom.

Are you as thankful as I am for that thought today?

No comments: