Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Making heaven

Luz Perez passed away last night at 10:00 P.M. I saw her last week, prayed with her and her mom and pop. In her thirties, a single mom, she has been fighting cancer for quite a few months now.

She's now with Jesus. No more suffering or pain.

In one sense there is a lot of sorrow, in another sense the family feel a sense of celebration, for Luz is in heaven.

This is something Jose and Maria and their family deeply believe. Their faith is strong. Their sorrow is deep, they miss Luz terribly, but they know that ultimately, we will all (as followers of Christ) be in heaven together someday.

Luz had made that decision to follow Christ.

You see, entry into heaven is not automatic. Not just anyone can get there in the sense that the only way to spend eternity in heaven is through Jesus Christ who said, "I am the way, the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6

Growing up in the church will not gain heaven for me, nor will a lot of money, living a good life or who I know.

The only way to get to heaven is to connect with Jesus Christ and make a decision to live for Him.

On one hand it is easy to walk through the "gates of heaven," on the other hand it's hard because we must be willing to give our lives over to Christ.

I read this today:

"Some doors, like the front gate of the White House, are tough to walk through. The White House has one phalanx of security after another, and you simply don't get in unless you are wanted, unless you have clearance, unless you have an appointment.

Some people do get into the White House based on who they are. Some get in based on who they know.

On Sunday July 26, 2009, one of the biggest and most famous men in the world—NBA star Shaquille O'Neil—tried to get into the White House without an appointment. At 7-1 and 325 pounds, with a winning smile, and NBA championship rings on his fingers from years of playing for the Los Angeles Lakers, Shaq has what it takes to walk into most places he wants to go. Doors open for Shaq.

And so, Shaq decided to put his celebrity, and President Obama's love of basketball, to the test. He was on a D.C. sports radio show on Friday July 24th, and he put this question to the listeners: "Check this out, I got on a nice suit, I'm in D.C. paying a visit, I jump out of a cab in front of the White House, I don't use none of my political or law enforcement connections. If I go to the gate and say, 'Hey, I'm in town, I would like to see the President,' do I get in, or do I not get in?"

Two days later, Shaq gave it a try, and just as Shaq has rejected those who would drive past him to the hoop, so the security guards at the White House gate rejected him.

Later that day, Shaq tweeted, "The White House wouldn't let me in, whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy."

Why not connect with Christ today and experience eternal life?

"For God so loved the world (you and me) that He gave His only Son (Jesus) so that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have everlasting life." John 3:16

No comments: