Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Windows to the soul

The French have a saying, "les yeux sont le miroir à l'âme", meaning, "the eyes are the mirror of the soul."

You can tell a lot by looking at a person's eyes. Anger, remorse, sadness, regret, bitterness, joy, peace, happiness, excitement, can all be read through the eyes.

At the final four college championship game last night between North Carolina and Michigan State (I was for Michigan State), the game was really over before it was even played.

I SAW IT IN THEIR EYES.

As they were introducing the players, the Michigan State team was hyper, had already worked up a sweat, and looked, not scared, but overwhelmed. Awed. It's the, "I can't believe I am here look."

Pan over to the introductions for North Carolina. Incredible. Totally opposite. There were looks of quiet and determined confidence. It's the, "we are going to do this thing," look.

And true to this form, State came out rattled, throwing the ball away, looking at times like a YMCA men's over 40 team.

State needed to be at the top of their game to win. Obviously, they were not. I don't attribute that to Coach Izzo - he is a great coach and motivator.

However, I would say this. In the pregame talk (Coach Izzo allowed the cameras from CBS to be there to record live his comments)Izzo talked not about what his team was going to do but how they were going to react to what North Carolina was going to do.

There seemed to be a reactionary tone to the game from State viewpoint instead of "this is what we are going to do, now let's go out and do it."

State tried to run the ball (which they are good at) and then, if nothing was there, set up and run organized plays. However, nothing was there.

And North Carolina's shooting - phenomenal.

Let me whine some more. Basically you had some good college basketball players (State) playing against four or even five "pros to be."

Not fair! Waaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!

(I wish you could see my eyes right now).

Watch people's eyes today and see (no pun intended) what you can see. You'll be amazed at the consistent connection between someones emotions and their eyes.

Debbie and I went to one of David Vales volleyball game last night at Sandburg High School (he is the coach). Great game. Close game. Lots of spirit.

I can tell that David is a great coach.

I always like to go to a high school game every so often. It brings back fond memories as well as reminds me of what sports is all about - competition, teamwork, fun, and winning or losing.

No comments: