Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

What kind of God would you be.....

I am a part of a lot of conversations that begin with the question, "what is God like"? Or, fill in the blank, "God is like __________".

But what about turning the tables and asking ourselves, "what kind of God would I be"? "If I were God, what would I be like?

First of all, let me say, "I'm glad I'm not God." The responsibility would be just too much. On call 24-7. Never a moment's rest. Dealing with people who constantly let me down. Loving the unlovable, even though they have betrayed me and turned their backs on me. Yes, God has a heavy burden.

I would probably make a crummy God. Sometimes I am too weary to listen to others, other times I succumb to the temptation that I think I am too busy.

Sometimes I play favorites (although I don't like it when I do), other times I can be extremely hard on not only others but myself.

At the same time, to be fair, I am many times compassionate, long suffering and able to minister even when I don't feel like ministering. I can be extremely loyal to friends who have fallen or given in to temptation. I can be loving when no one else cares to reach out.

It is just the inconsistency of my life (that I believe we all experience) that can be so maddening.

What kind of God would you be?

I read today an article about a top selling video game applications that Apple has for the iPhones. It is called, "Pocket God."

Here's the game description found on iTunes:

"What kind of god would you be? Benevolent or vengeful? Play Pocket God and discover the answer within yourself. On a remote island, you are the all-powerful god that rules over the primitive islanders. You can bring new life, and then take it away just as quickly."

Seeing that game options include throwing islanders into volcanoes, using islanders as shark bait, bowling for islanders with a large rock, or creating earthquakes to destroy the islanders' villages, designers seem to think players will only want to play the role of a vengeful god—which must mean they think that's the only kind of god players can ever imagine being real.

Would you be that kind of God? Vengeful? Violent? Mean? Sadistic?

Or would you be loving, kind compassionate and full of grace?

Again, I AM GLAD THAT GOD IS GOD AND WE ARE NOT.......how about you?

No comments: