Total Pageviews

Monday, April 13, 2009

Thoughts from the weekend

Thoughts from the weekend:

Busy, busy time but good.

I was really looking forward to our Good Friday service last Friday evening. For some reason, the principle and concept of the power of the cross really hit home to me, once again, this past week.

I am extremely thankful for what Jesus did on the cross for me - and for you. The pain and suffering he went through. Horrible stuff - yet it brings us eternal life.

I guess I never want to become so "churchanized" that I lose sight of what Christ did for me.

Such love, as the song goes, "such wondrous love."

Let's all remind ourselves that it is a concept that can't be truly comprehended in our minds, with our intellect, but it must be spiritually understood. Almost to the extend that a "light" has to go off in our spirit and we truly connect with what God has done.

That brings me to the idea that there is the "Word learned" and then there is the "Word applied".

I can memorize a lot of scripture, (which I really think is great) but it must be inputted into the spiritual and mental computer of my mind as well.

At the service Friday evening, 3 people raised their hands signifying that they wanted to connect with Christ!

Saturday and Sunday evenings, Debbie and I had the privilege of attending a Nigerian 50th birthday party (Saturday evening) and then a 25 wedding anniversary (Sunday evening).

When Debbie and I arrived at 4:00 P.M., nobody was there (the invitation said 2:00 P.M. was the starting time). Our Nigerians friends explained to us that there is Chicago time and there is African time.

In African time, nobody arrives on time. Whenever it starts, (as it was explained to me), is "God's appointed time."

So, Sunday evening, in knowing that the party started at 3:00 P.M., Debbie and I showed up at 5:00 P.M. and we were right in sync with God's appointed time.

Both of us had a great time. Our Nigerians brothers and sisters in Christ are so hospitable, so kind, so gracious and their love for God is extremely evident.

They also have a lot of respect for the position of pastor. I appreciate that.

The food was delicious. I love to try different kinds of foods. There was fried bananas, chicken, rice, with all kinds of spices and condiments.

The highlight for Debbie and I was watching as men and women would slowly dance their way up to the brother (whose birthday we were celebrating) or to the couple (who were celebrating their 25th wedding anniversary) and put one dollar bills on their forehead in a show of love and generosity.

Cool stuff. I told everyone that I would be willing to do that if it would help raise money for our building program. Stand there while everyone throws one dollar bills at me for the relocation project.

Easter Sunday morning - powerful. I wish I had another word that describes what took place. Both services were full. God's Spirit was evident.

6 people "accepted" Christ into their lives by coming forward for prayer.

It was fun speaking to a group of people who were really engaged in the teaching. Makes my time as a speaker a lot easier.

Bought a book today entitled, "The Unlikely Disciple - A sinner's semester at America's holiest university." by Kevin Roose.

Kevin Roose is a senior at Brown University, but took off one semester to study at Liberty University. Ironically enough, he was the last person to interview Dr. Jerry Falwell.

I like to engage myself in this type of book from time to time, just to stay in sync with how non followers of Christ view what we do and how we do it.

Let you know what I think of the book in a few days......

Watched a little of the Masters Golf Tournament yesterday, and I was thrilled to watch Tiger Wood hit his drive in the pine needles and the trees.

And then as he tried to drive out, He it a tree. Man, that made me feel good. I have spent a golf lifetime in the trees.

The only thing is, Tiger ended up with bogey......that's why he is Tiger

Trust you had a great Easter yesterday....

No comments: