Total Pageviews

Monday, June 02, 2008

Sunday evenings

I must admit that I enjoyed being home last night (Sunday evening). I took a walk and ended up talking to some neighbors for about 45 minutes. Connecting with the neighbors. It was a beautiful night.

Again, it begs the question - how can I connect with "outsiders" unless I spend time on the "outside"? It's one thing to proclaim in church that we want to reach outsiders for Christ. It's another thing entirely to prioritize our time so that we naturally find windows of opportunity to create relationships with those who don't know Christ.

People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care. How can we care unless we have opportunities to create friendships?

It has been stated that two years after someone becomes a Christian they have no non-churched friends. That statistic bothers me - and if I could be so blunt - it should bother you as well.

Again - let's make it simple:

Come on Sunday mornings. Participate in a small group. Serve in a ministry.

No more. No less.

Debbie and I plan on starting a small group on Sunday evenings in September. It will be a turbo group for those who want to experience small groups but don't yet want to make a commitment to an established small group.

It's a great way for us to "get to know" family units in our church family.

We will also plan on having cookouts and dinners where Debbie and I will invite our entire block to come and share food with our small group.

It's exciting!

No comments: