Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Being a father

Last night I sat down with my son, George, and watched some home videos of when my kids were young. It was great fun.

I watched as Christie played the piano and did a routine with a baton.

I watched as Becky was a lead in a church play and sang a song with Debbie in church.

I watched as George sang a solo in a church play and generally acted throughout each video as only he can.

As I went to bed, I paused and realized how quickly time marches on. In one sense it seems like yesterday that they were all born. In another sense it seems like it was a lifetime ago.

I also paused and reflected on those times and hope that I was a good father. I think I did okay.

I made my mistakes, I know. But if I remember right, I tried to apologize for those mistakes and go on.

My favorite vacation? The one we went on together to Washington D.C. in 2001. It was pre-911 and we had access to the White House (tour) and the Capital, etc.

I can remember each birth, each graduation, each day that they left for college. I remember recitals, games, concerts and a wedding. And now a grand baby on the way.

I guess I want to get sentimental here, and that's okay.

I love them all very much. There's nothing like having great kids.

No comments: