Total Pageviews

Monday, June 30, 2008

The ideal and the real

Here's what I know. The grass is not always greener on the other side. The grass is greener where you water it.

Sometimes we can get into the "if only."

If only I had another job.

If only I had another friend.

If only I went to another church.

If only I had another spouse.

Sometimes we need to pause and realize that what we really want is what we already have.

I read this true story this week that illustrates this:

Suleyman Guresci, of Izmir, Turkey divorced his wife of 21 years after a bitter six-year court battle. In an effort to find the ideal woman, Guresci turned to a computer dating service--the kind that evaluates your written profile and suggests matches for you.

Ironically, from a list of 2000 prospective brides, the computer selected his former wife, who (unbeknownst to Guresci) had signed up for the same service. Guresci's response? He decided to remarry his wife just nine months after their divorce.

He said, "I did not know that my ex-wife had been the ideal counterpart for a marriage. I decided to give it another try by being more tolerant toward her."

The ideal mate might just be the one you've already married.

The ideal job might just be the one you are working at.

The ideal friend might be the one that you are hanging around with.

And....the ideal church might be the one you are going to. Why not begin watering once again?

Just a thought.

No comments: