Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Harmony Holiness Church

I went out to see Russ Bettenhausen today at Silver Cross Hospital. I encourage you to pray for Russ. The doctors said that he is going to lose his foot due to diabetes. The operation is Monday.

On my way to the hospital on route 6, I noticed a church whose name is "Harmony Holiness" church. I couldn't help but pause in my spirit and wonder about that title.

Hopefully the church is a church united and walking in holiness.

But I can't help but think that they are steeped (and I hope I am wrong) in legalism and rules and do's and don't and that if you don't believe as we do or walk as we do or think as we do - than we won't live in harmony with you.

It almost sounds like an oxymoron, like "jumbo shrimp" or "junior high leader."

If they aren't walking in "harmony" could a person claim "false advertising?"

If they aren't walking in "holiness" could a person claim that they weren't living up to their billing?

That's one of the reasons why I don't put "Jesus stickers" on my car - just in case I blow it and become angry at someone as I drive. I wouldn't want Jesus to be tagged with a bad reputation because of something stupid I did.

I'm not saying that a church shouldn't proclaim one of their values in the title of their church. I am saying that if you put "Harmony Holiness" on the front sign, I would hope and pray that you truly are walking in harmonious holiness before God.

No comments: