Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry

I really like the book of James. It's been called the "Proverbs of the New Testament". Full of wise wisdom and counsel, the book of James was written by James, who pastored in Jerusalem.

On Wednesday evening, I and a group of about 7 men, have been walking through the book verse by verse. We've been averaging about 3 or four 4 verses each week.

Last night we read James 1:19, 20, "My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry. For man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires."

Let's ask this question today. How much do you talk and how much do you listen? It's a probing, personal question.

When people talk with you, do they feel that their viewpoints and ideas have value?

When we talk too much and listen to little, most of the time we are communicating to others that we think our ideas are much more important than theirs.

We must constantly stop and reverse that process.

I must be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry.

Easier said than done!

Many times we become angry when our egos are bruised.

We say, "I am hurt."

"My opinions are not being heard."

When injustice and sin occur, we SHOULD become angry because others are being hurt. But we should not become angry when we fail to win an argument or when we feel offended or neglected. Selfish anger never helps anybody.

Am I right? Yeah, I'm right - just help me God to follow through on this stuff!

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Good Article!

In your next to last paragraph - I would agree in most cases!!

When we feel offended or neglected - its not always selfish anger! I would bet MOST of the time tho!