Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Fasting and new people

We are on day three of a three day Daniel fast. A Daniel fast is a fast to set oneself apart from our culture for a season. It's eating vegetables and fruit, and drinking juices and water.

"Setting oneself" apart is a needed spiritual discipline. It's like a spiritual roto-rooter, it helps clean out the clogged aspects of our lives so that we have a clearer, more direct line of communication with God.

As a leader in our church, I have been pleased with those who have come each night for prayer. While I try to never let numbers influence me, especially at prayer meetings, it was neat to see the response.

People are hungry for something spiritual.

I know that the past couple of days have been a neat time of cleansing for me.

How about you?

Dale just told me an interesting story. Someone who is new to our church just called and asked for tithing envelopes. Instead of pronouncing it as we do, tithing, they asked for the tithing envelopes with in emphasis on the "th". It wasn't "t eye thing" envelopes, but "teth ing" envelopes.

I tell that story, not to make light nor to make fun of the person who called. Just the contrary.

That story blesses me. It confirms the vision of our church.

God IS really doing some neat things in our church. We ARE reaching our community. We ARE reaching those who don't know Christ. It also gives credence to my two teachings coming up on stewardship and the tithe.

Oh, God continue to do your work in our community!

1 comment:

Teresa O. said...

I have never done a Daniel fast until now. In previous fast, the few that I have done, I must admit I'm not a good faster, always desiring what I can't have - sugar. I think doing the Daniel fast has helped me remove the temptations to keep some things in my diet. Limiting myself more this time has actually been better. I am going through fatigue and headaches, among other bodily discomforts, but as I got up this morning and focused on prayer (it is prayer AND fasting) the Lord gave me such an excitement for what he is doing in our church and for me and my family, and what He is preparing to do. I didn't realize how much I needed this and I am thankful to be a member of a church that believes in prayer and fasting. I too have been very encouraged at those attending prayer. I hear often how some want more worship time, more, prayer time, to see the body desire worship more, and yet those voices aren't even present. We can't expect the body and our children to do what is desired in the church if they don’t lead by example. I pray that as people talk about what a church is suppose to do, will become the first to lead the way.