Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 11, 2007

our faith commitment

Last night's prayer and praise service was a wonderful time of worship - connecting with God, and prayer - connecting with others.

One of the highlights for me was when I asked that everyone gather in groups and have each person stand in the middle while the entire group prayed for them.

It was powerful. I especially was thrilled to see groups of teenagers tightly packed into a circle in prayer.

Our prayer is that God would continue to move!

Brennan Manning has written some words that are very challenging to us (this was sent to me by some friends today). Take these words, pray about them and let's all apply them to our lives!

"My Faith Commitment"

What is the quality of my faith commitment? Is there movement and
development? Is it alive and growing? Faith is a real personal
relationship with Jesus of Nazareth. Like any human love affair, it can
never be static, exhausted, terminal, settled. When Scripture,
Eucharist, and ministry become routine, they are moribund. When the
Father's love is taken for granted, we paint him into a corner and rob
him of the opportunity to love us in new and surprising ways.

Then faith begins to shrivel and shrink. When I become so spiritually
sophisticated that "Abba" is old hat, then the Father has been had,
Jesus has been tamed, the Spirit has been domesticated, and the
Pentecostal fire has been extinguished. Evangelical faith is the
antithesis of cozy, comfortable piety.

Faith means you want growing intimacy with Jesus Christ. Cost what it may, you want to want nothing else. The moment I conclude that I can now cope with the awesome love of God, I am dead. I could more easily contain the Gulf of Mexico in a
shot glass than I can comprehend the wild, uncontainable love of God.

If our faith is going to be criticized, let it be for the right reasons.
Not because we are too emotional but because we are not emotional
enough. Not because our passions are so powerful but because they are
so puny. Not because we are too affectionate but because we lack a
deep, passionate, undivided love for the person of Jesus Christ.

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the
faith."
2 Timothy 4:7

good stuff....

2 comments:

Jon said...

It's times like these that I really miss all of you so much. I have to imagine the service and the moving of the Spirit there. Praise God!!

I went to a little house church here last Sunday and had a great time. The message was good, the group (about a dozen people) were very friendly and enthusiastic, the worship was solid, God was moving in the house. Good time! My brother was unable to go as he got called out of town on business on the Thursday before so he missed out. I pray that he is going with me this Sunday. Would you pray the same with me? Most of you know that part of why I know I am here is to play my part in God's plan to get my brother back into the kingdom. It's not by my action but by God's divine power that he (my brother) will return. Pray with me that it will be soon and that God will touch him in a powerful way.

I will join you again on the 21st as I fly back into town for ten days thereabouts. I'll also get to attend the celebration on the 28th as I don't fly back to California until the 29th. God is good and things here are getting straightened out. Timeline is still April or so but I'm working diligently to make that less day by day...with the grace and power of God upholding me.

May God bless you and yours until we are together again...and for many years beyond. In fact, until Jesus comes for His church. God's will be done.

Love God, love people. Love each other enormously!

Jon

Beth said...

I have a lot of personal reasons for wanting to do the daniel fast. I'm not exactly able to do it because I have low blood sugar, but that doesn't mean that I can't participate otherwise. I've seen amazing changes in my marriage in the last few weeks. Things are turning around, things are changing that I never thought would change. I truly believe that even though these issues are personal, we need to share them with others so they can pray with us about them. And yes, even if they don't know what's going on, God does. I'm also seeing some nice changes in church. God's presence was mighty this past Sunday.

We miss you very much Jon! But just take care of business and come home soon. :)