Total Pageviews

Monday, January 08, 2007

Disappointment

One can only imagine how Tony Romo feels. Fumbling the snap of a field goal and dropping the ball in front of millions of people (including T.V.).

I mean, I feel bad.

I know that those who aren't fans of football won't understand this, but I didn't sleep well Saturday night. It wasn't because football is number one in my life, it isn't, but it was the way the Cowboys lost that bothered me.

I feel bad they lost, of course, being a Cowboy fan. I feel bad for the players, having worked so hard and then losing the way they did.

But I especially feel bad for Romo.

It will be interesting to see how he responds to this adversity. Remember, we can't judge the severity of someone's trials in comparison with our own or someone else's.

Each person deals with their own trials in their own way.

I almost want to say that I want to pray for him, not for the Cowboys sake, but for his sake.

It's in the same category as Bill Buckner letting the ball go through his legs during the, I think it was the 1986 World Series.

Only after Boston won the world series a couple of years ago was Buckner's error forgotten and possibly forgiven.

Football wise, that will probably be the only way for Romo to find redemption. To win several playoff games and even the super bowl.

Otherwise, he must surround himself with those who are realistic but optimistic with him in his time of trouble.

We will see!

1 comment:

Jon said...

Yes, he was definitely depressed and disconsolate. Poor lad. And, to tell the truth, over something that was not really all that bad. In the grand scheme of things, of course, but even in the game AND that specific play. If his kicker would have thrown any kind of a block, Romo would have scored a touchdown on his run. If they had any type of consistent game plan, beyond basic regular season football, that situation wouldn't have occurred. The Seahawks were working with four backups, or backups to backups, in the defensive backfield. Dallas has some great receivers but didn't take advantage of that. Bad play calling!

In the grand scheme of things, someone should share with Romo that it's just a game...just one finite moment in eternity. He will have the chance for redemption on the football field and I hope that he takes advantage of it when it comes. His eternity lays before him now...I pray someone shares that with him. What I saw of him on the sidelines after that play really made me worry about his future...he was down, down, down. What was worse was there was no one there to try and lift him up...he was left all alone for a long time. Bad team and coaches...

Pray for him to learn from his mistake...not the football one but the one of letting life get him down. Hopefully, he learns from it as most of us have over the course of our lives. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade! I think that was Yogi Berra. Maybe not.

Hey, George, did you ever answer the question about the potatoes? Someone asked me if potato chips counted so could you answer that one as well?

Thanks and God bless you.

Jon