Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Let me know if you need anything

First of all, let me say, that when you and I say to anyone (in grief, dealing with an illness, out of a job), it is not sinful or illegal to say, "let me know if you need anything, " or "if there is anything I can do, let me know."
 
It is just that we need to stop saying that.
 
I think we all feel very uncomfortable to actually reach out to someone (in our time of need) who has said that to us.  We don't want to put anyone out.  We feel uneasy in asking anyone to give of their valuable time doing menial tasks for us. 
 
And on the flipside, most of the time when you and I say the phrase (I do and you do to) it makes us feel better about ourselves, as if somehow we have done our "duty" in helping that person out. 
 
But here is the challenge:  We want people to know we care, but simply caring is not enough.
 
We know they will never call us - and deep inside - we hope they never do.
 
It is just a fact of life.
 
It's a portion of this game we can "life."
 
But for a moment, look at Jesus.  Jesus was more than a man of words - he was a man of action.  He was constantly putting what he did in line with what he said.
 
Pastor James tells us to be "doers of the word."
 
If we are to be like Jesus (which we all want to be) we must do something to help someone in need.  Send a card, make a meal, drop off some groceries, make a visit or phone call - without waiting to be asked.
 
Be pro-active.  Don't wait on that phone call from that person who is hurting.
 
I challenge all of us (including myself) to obliterate this phrase from our vocabulary in 2015 - and to reach out to the hurting in their time of need.
 
Just a thought for a Tuesday.

No comments: